Aldea Development Committee Policy
Aldea’s development committee is charged with planning and implementing the organization’s fundraising program in concert with the professional staff. The development committee follows the basic premise of other board committees: to establish policies for decision making, to engage the board in developing strategy, and to monitor implementation. In addition, development committees often get involved directly in implementation — in this case, making personal contributions, soliciting funds, opening doors to other potential individual and institutional donors, and coordinating special events.
- Works with the Development staff to develop the organization’s fundraising plan, develops policies, plans, procedures, in fundraising
- Plays a strong role in identifying, cultivating, and approaching donors (individual and planned gifts, foundation, and corporate)
- Prior fundraising skills and experience or a desire to develop such are important qualifications
- Willingness to stay communicated via email, calls, zoom meetings and offer updates in an open manner; or at least work with other committee members to get updated when meetings are missed
DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE JOB DESCRIPTION
The development committee works with the board chair, executive director, director of development, and other development staff to provide valuable input for developing the fundraising plan and engaging the entire board in fundraising. The committee’s responsibilities include the following:
- Helping to educate the board about environmental factors affecting fundraising among the organization’s constituencies (e.g., current events, other organizations’ activities, economic factors)
- Involving and motivating other board members and volunteers in cultivation and solicitation of gifts
- Helping to develop strategies for involvement and cultivation of major gift prospects (i.e., individual, foundation, and corporate)
- Helping to evaluate potential prospects for increased contributions
- Soliciting gifts at levels required for annual, special, and planned giving programs
- Participating actively in special events and providing leadership for capital campaigns
- Developing and signing solicitation and acknowledgment letters
- Providing access for staff to new major gift prospects
- Attend the Dev Committee meetings (via zoom or in-person) once a month or stay in communication with the Development Officer and or committee members when you are unable to attend meetings
THE DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE’S RESPONSIBILITIES TO MAJOR GIFTS
In concert with development staff:
- Identification: Members assist in identifying potential major gift donors based on their own personal knowledge of linkage, ability, and interest.
- Qualification: Members assist the organization in determining how likely a prospective donor might be to make a major gift and be able to understand what a reasonable what level might be.
- Development of Strategy: Members help determine specific strategies for potential major donors based on their knowledge of the prospective donor level of engagement and interests.
- Cultivation: Members assist in efforts to involve prospective donors more closely with the organization, inform them of potential projects, and determine approaches for solicitation.
- Solicitation and Negotiation: Members join soliciting teams to make personal calls with other volunteers or organizational representatives to ask for major gifts and negotiate for gift amounts and terms.
- Acknowledgment: Members express gratitude directly to those donors whom they have solicited.
- Stewardship: Members make certain that major gifts are used for intended purposes and report to major donors on the impact of their gift.
- Renewal: Members should support staff in determining when it might be appropriate to approach a major donor for another major gift and essentially begin the eight-step process again.
DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE MEMBER BENEFITS
- Serving our Children & Families in need throughout Napa, Sonoma and Solano Counties, of course!
- Free admittance to invite-only donor appreciation events
- Exclusive Aldea swag
- Mention and headshot on our website
- Opportunity to promote a business you have in support of Aldea
For more information, please contact Michele Farhat, Director of Development, at (707) 224-8266 or firstname.lastname@example.org.